Applications closing for heavy vehicle safety project funding

Submissions for funding in the next round of the Heavy Vehicle Safety Initiative close at 5pm on February 20, 2023

Government funding to the value of about $4 million is up for grabs to support projects that enhance the safety of the transport and logistics sector or road users in general.

The funding is part of Round 8 of the Heavy Vehicle Safety Initiative which has so far seen more than $32 million spent on 132 projects since its inception in 2016.

The grants are designed to support “tangible, implementable industry-led heavy vehicle safety projects that address an existing issue for the transport and logistics sector and all road users”.

Transport, Regional Development and Local Government Minister Catherine King says the funding is a “golden ticket opportunity for the heavy vehicle industry and its supply chains to improve road safety at the coalface”.

“Ideas for project topics include driver or supply chain skills and training, vehicle safety technologies and improvements, or heavy vehicle educational tools and resources,” King says.

“A new year is the perfect time to reflect and look at how we can improve day-to-day operations and safety on our roads.”

Assistant Minister for Infrastructure and Transport Senator Carol Brown urged anyone with ideas to improve safety to investigate the application process.

“Project submissions are open to councils, industry and the community to contribute directly towards the themes of safer drivers, safer vehicles or safer road use,” Brown says.

The grants have the backing of the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator with CEO Sal Petroccitto who says it is a great way for the industry to take the lead on its own future.

“I encourage those with a tangible project idea to apply for HVSI funding and help keep heavy vehicles moving safely and efficiently,” he says.

For more information on the HVSI program, including the submission process and eligibility, visit www.nhvr.gov.au/hvsi

 

Send this to a friend