Early works begin on Bruce Highway at Cooroy

High accident rate sparks highway construction in southern Queensland

Early works begin on Bruce Highway at Cooroy
Infrastructure minister Warren Truss


The federal government has begun early construction work on a section of the Bruce Highway upgrade, south of Gympie in southern Queensland.

The project along the 61km stretch of highway will include widening in parts, new left and right turn lanes at rest area intersections, and also the creation of dedicated entry lanes for a key service station on the route.

Infrastructure minister Warren Truss says the full upgrade of the Bruce Highway is a major component of the government’s infrastructure investment strategy.

"These early works have been prioritised because of the high accident rate on this section of the highway, with 82 crashes and seven fatalities occurring between 2000 and 2010," he says.

"The Bruce Highway is critical to the Queensland and national economies and this project will bolster economic productivity, reduce travel times and enhance road safety."

The Australian Government is funding 80 per cent of the total project cost, up to a $499.4 million total, with the Queensland Government providing the remaining 20 per cent.

Early works are expected to be complete by the middle of next year.


Subscribe to our newsletter

Sign up to receive the Trade Trucks e-newsletter, digital magazine and other offers we choose to share with you straight to your inbox

You can also follow our updates by liking us on Facebook


Trucks For Hire | Forklifts For Hire | Cranes For Hire | Generators For Hire | Transportable Buildings For Hire