Classic Kiwis


IMGP3028 IMGP3028
IMGP3029 IMGP3029
IMGP3131 IMGP3131
IMGP3133 IMGP3133
IMGP3134 IMGP3134
IMGP3135 IMGP3135
IMGP3136 IMGP3136
IMGP3139 IMGP3139
IMGP3140 IMGP3140
IMGP3247 IMGP3247
IMGP3263 IMGP3263

With the added inclusion of a classic truck display, New Zealand’s transport showcase The Expo has the formula down pat. Greg Bush reports.

Aussies love their antique and classic trucks, but so to do their antipodean brothers across ‘the ditch’, judging by the turnout at The Expo at Mystery Creek near Hamilton.

On show were a mix of old Internationals, Whites, Macks, Leylands, a 1962 Bedford fire engine and much more.

The International brand was well represented, with one of the oldest on show being a 1929 International S24 with a Lycoming 4 cylinder side valve engine. There was also a sprinkling of R190s, a couple of old Loadstars and a 1947 International KB1 boasting a 73hp Green Diamond 214 cubic inch engine. The KB1 underwent a complete rebuild between 2011 and 2014 "down to the last nut and bolt".

A light blue 1960 Leyland Beaver attracted plenty of attention. The Beaver was first registered in 1961 by Rotorua stock carriers Binnie Bros, and ended up in the ranks of Whiteside Transport where it was used to cart stock, logs and whey.

The 150hp Beaver was later discovered in a paddock in Tikokino in Hawkes Bay where it had been left neglected for around 20 years. Its restoration job was complete in 2010.

A Bedford KGLC3 fine engine returned close to where it all began going into service with the Hamilton Fire Board in 1962. It was later transferred to the New Zealand Fire Service in Auckland and Whangarei in 1981, eventually ending up at the Clydesdale Museum Fire Brigade at Mystery Creek in 2009.

Finally, a 1976 Leyland Scammell Crusader. Powered by a Detroit 8V71 T, this unit was once part of the largest fleet of Leyland Crusaders in the Southern Hemisphere during its years with Stan Williamson Transport of Te Puke from 1980.

You can also follow our updates by liking us on Facebook